I learned this week what it means to say, “sure, I can do that for you.” A simple request to make lighting fixture a little more flexible turned into a relaps of my SOHCAHTOA days. The lighting group needed a linear pendant that could be adjusted to a sloping ceiling. I said it would not be a problem. A few reference plans, a couple parameters, and a formula with a tangent lead to a working solution. I then shared the family with the team. They were greatful, but quickly followed up with another request. They needed to report the apparent load and it needed to adjust with the length, “sure, I can do that,” and with changes to the light source…and if it is one or two light sources…”….sure, I can do that.” Before this family I had never opened Revit MEP. Well, this was as a good a time as any. A quick Google search…thanks again Google, lead me to learn all I needed. It is just nesting a few if then formulas and a few yes/no check boxes. I finally got it to come all together.
I seemed to have pulled all the tricks out of the hat and feel a little more comfortable with formulas in Families. They will start using this new hyped up light fixture family on Monday. My next goal is to “upgrade” the rest of the light fixture families and expect more request coming down the pipe. I need to quickly learn both MEP and Structures. My new slogan, “sure, I can do that.”